if you own plenty land that the deer stay on sure a smaller cartridge works fine,but when your hunting trophy whitetail bucks on public land or a small tact of land where a buck could run away after the shot maybe to the next unknown guy and he shoots your wounded buck and claims your buck that just ain`t cool and i have had that happen . so now days i carry a bigger cartridge that knocks that buck down right away most of the time or it only goes a few yards and falls over from a good shot. yes some people can`t handle recoil and i understand but my son and myself use magnum rifles so we don`t have to track a buck on one good shot. i use 257 Weatherby Mag. but i would have no problem using a 300 Win. Mag. that is another great cartridge with plenty knock down power on bigger bucks as is a 375 H&H. where we hunt whitetail bucks by the Canadian border in Minnesota we may only get 1 shot at a big whitetail buck every year or 2 so give me a rifle cartridge with plenty power i will handle the recoil to knock that buck down.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman