Originally Posted by gunzo
Barnyard stuff, but need to compete with 338's & the like. Would love to beat them with an under 30 cal rifle. I think my long throat. long barrel 260 might be fine but would entertain a new 7mm considering all the new bullets coming out.

The 180 & 190 grain 7's have amazing BC's but thinking they need more than a 7-08 to send them. OTH, I think an Ultra mag or Nosler is overboard. ?? Is there a 7mm stand out? I don't think a 338 is needed at this range.

Thoughts?
....................What I would do first, is take all of your potential cartridge choices in 6.5, 7mm, and include a 30 cal as well if I were you, and then take all of your best bullet choices for each and compare all of them on a ballistics calculator for velocity retention % compared to their MVs, bullet drop, inches of wind drifts etc; all the nuts and bolts,,,everything..............I know you wished to stay smaller than a 30 cal, but I would certainly include the 300 PRC for consideration. 225 gr match with BCs of about 777. Out to 1400 yards, my main concern would be wind drift and which possible choice would be the best..

On you tube..............Type in...........Todd Helms 300 PRC........7 minute plus video.

Go with whichever gives ya the best #s on paper in all of the categories.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger