Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton
Originally Posted by Lw308
I have a Ruger M77 Mkii 25-06 and a Remington 700 AAC-SD. 308. What would be the most efficient cartridge for whitetail size game and long range practice?

I'd sell the 2506 and get yourself a high quality optic (assuming you haven't one already) for the .308 that is LR capable (turrets, christmas tree reticle, etc). And then lay in a serious supply of slippery bullets, powder and primers. I hunted the [bleep] out of a couple of 2506s when I was younger, and if a sub-400 yard shot on game is called for, then hey, the 2506 will do it. But if you want to crank out hits at extended range, the 308 is the route I'd go. Why? EVERYONE has one. It's ubiquitous, much like a good 22lr. Everyone knows it can do it, and the info is out there in spades to get you into the ballpark. The 2506, not so much. You can put in the work to make the 2506 fit the role you are asking, or you can spend a couple hours reading/loading and be in that ballpark in an afternoon. Why swim upstream when you don't have too?

Kaiser Norton

I also have a Ruger M77 mkii in a .300 Win Mag. I mite use it for bigger game.

God, Family, and Guns. Be strong in your beliefs and work hard.