Originally Posted by Lw308
What would be the most efficient cartridge for whitetail size game and long range practice?

I'm pretty sure there's a good deal of folks who would say that a .223 would be the answer to the most efficient cartridge for either deer or target shooting, or both.

Personally, I've not tried it for deer yet, having just recently acquired my first 223. But the guy I know who's killed more deer and hogs than anyone else I can think of uses it exclusively. And has for a long long time. Mostly in a boat paddle ss Ruger. He'd tell you it's all you need. And for a hunter who can get in range to make a perfect shot every time, I'd tend to believe him.

And with a newer model with fast twist and long heavy pills, they got the BC's to carry and buck the wind a bit for long range target shooting.
They won't have the impact on steel. And the small holes might be hard to see. And you won't see them used much in long range competition, except in certain restricted classes. But it appears that an 8 or better twist 223 is the choice of a lot of 500+ yard target shooters here on the fire.