Originally Posted by 19352012
Any thoughts or opinions? I have the big three dealerships local but have always been intrigued by the Tundra. Willing to look at Nissan also. Thanks

I’ve had two Tundras, an ‘07 and a ‘10. For the most part they were reliable but both of them had issues with the emissions system air injection pumps and air injection valves. The ‘07was covered under warranty but the ‘10 was outside the warranty and it is a very expensive fix, so I traded it in on a new F150.

The ‘07 had the 4.7 V8 and the ‘10 had the 5.7 Other than the emissions issues, both were rock solid reliable and burned no oil between changes up to the 185,000 miles where I traded them in. Both got pretty abysmal fuel milage. The 4.7/got about 16 mpg and the 5.7 averaged about 14.7 for a mix of probably 25% in town and 75% highway. Both had pretty good power but liked to rev to get that power under a load.

I’ve only put about 5000 miles on the F150 and it is the first Ford truck I’ve owned. It has the 3.5 Ecoboost and I knew the advertised performance numbers were better than the 5.7 Tundra’s but I was skeptical until I drove one. I just didn’t think they could get that much torque out a little bitty V6. I was happily mistaken. The 3.5 ecoboost would absolutey embarrass my 5.7 Tundra. Very noticeable increase in seat of the pants feel during acceleration and has much more torque much lower in the RPM band.

My F150 also gets substantially better fuel milage, averaging 19.2 mpg for the 5200 miles I’ve put on it so far.

So far, I prefer the F150. The only thing the Tundra might have over it is long term reliability but I don’t know yet. I’ll let you know in 100,000 miles or so.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14