Guys, list your accurizing tips and tricks for the AR platform rifle. I was talking to a shop owner who builds custom precision AR's and he was telling me about some of the things he suggests for accurizing ar rifles. I'll list what he named off and see what you think. It would be nice to hear from some of you guys that shot the MOA all day long and black rifle challenge here. Anyway, here's the starting of a list from the guy at the shop:

1. Truing the face of the upper receiver.
2. Accu wedge to remove slop in upper and lower receiver fit.
3. Captured recoil spring system. JP enterprises or Armaspec stealth buffer system.
4. 2 stage match/varmint trigger or single stage match trigger with anti walk pins.
5. Barrel properly torqued.
6. Anyone here care to explain how to bed a barrel into a receiver?
7. Good quality barrel: What's your favorite? WOA, Shillen, Windaham Weaponry, Noveske, Wilson Combat, etc.
8. Tuned handloads.
9. Comfortable butt stock. I prefer the PRS stock for shooting prone or off the bench.
10. Good comfortable grip. I prefer the K2+
11. Good solid cantilever scope mount.
12. Proven scope. My favorites for the AR are the AR556 and AR762 4.5-14x42 made by Burris.
13. Good solid beefy upper. Which do you prefer? My favorite is Northtech Defense.
14. Freefloating handguard.

Feel free to add to the list or make your own list. I'm sure some of you guys will have your own recipe. That of which will probably include an adjustable gas block. But does it really make the rifle more accurate than a well tuned buffer weight system or capture spring system? Probably not.. Let me know what I left out. If you want, post some pics of your extremely accurate ar's (I'm talking 10 shot groups too). TWR will appreciate that.

What made me think of starting this thread today was when I changed the handguard on my 6WOA. I wanted to put the 16.7 NSR back on my 6WOA because I don't like the round Hogue thats been on it. The Hogue just looks cheap, but the rifle shot better with it vs. the NSR. I had to think about why I was getting weird fliers with the Noveske handguard installed last time. I came to the conclusion that the 6 handguard locking screws were bottoming out on the barrel last time and I knew this was probably the problem. Today I ground down the screws so it locked down to the barrel nut and stayed clear of the barrel itself. After shooting the rifle today, I think that was the problem. It shot great. No random fliers like before. It looks mucho better with the Noveske NSR on it too:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This ^^^^is an old picture of the rifle, but you get the idea.

Here's how it looked with the Hogue handguard:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

For iron sights, all things in the list apply. But I'll add, find a good set of iron sights, if you want to focus on precision. The Ultradyne C4 flip up irons sights, that I've been playing around with are hard to beat in the Accuracy department. Have a happy and safe 4th of July guys...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA