Originally Posted by BCHunter666
As a certified range officer I see all kinds of shooters out there. So I want to compare my experiences with what you all think. Let’s say you shoot a 243 very accurately. How much more recoil can you honestly take without flinching. Be honest. Is that a 270? 30-06? 300 mag? More. I have tested several experienced shooters having them turn their backs while I load , or not, their rifles. Then they have to shoot and flinching will become very clear. Results might surprise you

I don't know what my tolerance is anymore because I gave up trying to get close to it. When you notice you have to pull it in tight to your shoulder and tense up your chest, back, neck, arms and abs you are trying to avoid pain.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with a physical therapist after one of my surgeries. We were talking about guns, hunting, and shooting. He owned a few guns, but really wasn't much of a shooter or hunter. He told me about going to shoot clay birds with a friend. He said he fired his friend's 12 gauge and he said that it really hurt. He said he tried it again and then he handed the gun back to its owner. I then began to tell him he needed to shoot more and find a gun which fit him better. He said his friend told him the same thing. He then looked me in the eye and said, "You are teaching your body to ignore pain. If you keep doing that you will end up in here again." I could not argue with that statement.

There are plenty of guys out there who think their "man card" will be taken away from them if they can't tolerate recoil. This group are the same ones who give a youngster a 12 gauge single shot with 3" shells for a laugh. Nothing is gained for anyone involved when this happens.

So, to answer your question, I don't know my true cut off for flinching, but I know this. When I get up to the recoil level of a sporter weight 223, I have to start pulling it in tight and tensing up to keep from getting a painful response.