I can comfortably shoot my 375 Ruger often 20 rounds in a session in an unbraked 700, I hunt bear with it so it does not have a brake. I bought a 416 Taylor in a Mauser 98 from a gunsmith. The owner never picked the 416 up after being rebarrled for 3 years I bought it for the cost of the Douglas blank, looking back not a good deal. I took the 416 to the range once and it will remain in my safe, maybe leave it out so if someone breaks in they take it.

But when I shoot any of my 223's I leave the range thinking that was a lot of fun, I would not shoot my 375 Ruger for fun. I shoot my 300-375 Ruger which is well braked often when I shoot at 1000 yards it is fun to shoot although I don't think I would like the muzzle blast enough to shoot it more than 40-50 rounds in a session. I never intend hunting with the 300-375 so I put a brake on it. I built up a couple of 338 Lapuas which were also well-braked and they allowed you to self spot shots from 600 yards out so the recoil was not bad. I found the muzzle blast of the 338 Lapua to be fatiguing after about 20 rounds but the recoil was not an issue.

All of this on a shoulder that has been rebuilt 3 times (non related to shooting) so your mileage may vary.