Originally Posted by BCHunter666
As a certified range officer I see all kinds of shooters out there. So I want to compare my experiences with what you all think. Let’s say you shoot a 243 very accurately. How much more recoil can you honestly take without flinching. Be honest. Is that a 270? 30-06? 300 mag? More. I have tested several experienced shooters having them turn their backs while I load , or not, their rifles. Then they have to shoot and flinching will become very clear. Results might surprise you

That is a complicated question. The rifle, stock and load make a lot of difference. My larger chamberings all have Decelerator pads and that helps.

I would say I have no problem with my .308, .30-06's and below with the exception of my 84L Montana. It can sting a bit if you are careless. My 7x61 S&H is rather heavy and is no problem.

My .300 Magnums are where it is a problem for me. The .308 Normas both kick way more than I would have expected. It is quick and sharp. My .300 Weatherby is reasonably hard kicking but no more so than my .338.

My .338 Win is fine up to and including 225 grain loads. The recoil seems much worse with 250 grain loads. In no case does it seem as hard to managre as the .300 Mags.

My .35 Whelen has a relatively strong recoil similar to my 84L Montana with 250's. With 225's and 200's it is more of a push.

Moving up the line My .375 H&H Talkeetna is easy to control. I have only used it wiit 250-260 grain loads however.

i also have an 1885 in .45-70. with factory level loads it is a pussycat. With other loads, not so much.