Agree with all the comments on stock fit, stock configuration, and shooting position. With a Winchester 1892 24" 45 Colt even relatively mild (but above traditional factory level) loads, the crescent steel butt plate was brutal. Go to "Ruger only" levels and it was punishment. After raising the front rest height and adding a rear bag rest, even the heavy loads were tolerable, though still somewhat bruising from the metal crescent. Similarly with 405 Win, at max book loads for 300 grain soft points, an 1895 Winchester with metal butt plate was unpleasant but not as punishing as the maxed out 45 Colt. The same 405 load in an 1885 High Wall with a shotgun butt and factory butt plate was no problem at all, and extremely accurate to boot. The Ruger No. 1A in 35 Whelen is no problem for me with max book loads and 225 Partitions, but a 45-70 No. 3 with even low-end "lever action" loads is punishing with that metal butt plate. For me, the most comfortable rifle I own is a No. 1A in 6.5x55, a joy to carry and shoot in any situation.