Originally Posted by BCHunter666
As a certified range officer I see all kinds of shooters out there. So I want to compare my experiences with what you all think. Let’s say you shoot a 243 very accurately. How much more recoil can you honestly take without flinching. Be honest. Is that a 270? 30-06? 300 mag? More. I have tested several experienced shooters having them turn their backs while I load , or not, their rifles. Then they have to shoot and flinching will become very clear. Results might surprise you

Great question BCHunter.

Over the years I have found it depends on a few things. The day, if you are shooting that rifle for the first time, working up to a load... Recoil is a real mental game for me and if I lose the shot without thought then my shots are usually pretty decent.

I use a 9.3x62(T3) pretty regularly with 286's at 2300fps. Off the bench you feel it, but because I know the rifle well I am usually a decent shot with it. Unless, fatigue kicks in, which changes things somewhat... When hunting deer I rarely feel or remember the shot, and the deer fall over more than not, so I guess that combo works for me.

Comparing my old light 338WM to my current go-to Tikka 9.3 is like chalk and cheese. That 338 came back hard and fast, as did my old 340Wby. So I guess recoil does play a big part with my hunting over the years. I have also worked out that I prefer the slower style recoils, seen in my 9.3's.

I once had an old Sako L579 in 308Win. This rifle just didn't fit me at all and it use to slap me in the chops most shots, which gave me flinch. I soon sold it and moved onto 270WSM Tikka Lite when Tikka first introduced these. Recoil was certainly faster than the 308Win Sako but that Tikka stocks fitted me a hell of a lot better, so I shot it better.
I have owned 4 Kimber rifles, from Montana's to the Hunter and I feel these fit me well, which was evident when shooting them.

Regarding caliber and recoil. My old .17Rem Remmy BDL was hard to beat. I could watch the shots dropping foxes without any recoil. I never flinched with it. My old 243Win Sako 75 Stainless Timber certainly fitted me better than my L579. Recoil in a 243Win is what I would say is the perfect balance if one is recoil shy or doesn't care for recoil.

Whenever I develop a flinch(it happens) I always go back to my little Brno Model 2 .22LR shooting 40 grain power points.

The 308 Winchester in the right fitting stock, is a hard rifle to top!

Taking my rifle for a walk