Originally Posted by Judman
What’s the consensus here?

Yes, they are.
I see too many people judge results on broadside rib shots or moderately quartering away. Miss by a bit and hit bone, or the only shot available and hit bone, or heavily quartering, changes things a lot. Even an elk's stomach full of feed is a formidable obstacle. Even a straight on chest shot is quickly into the vitals without much of an obstacle.

I seen enough well regarded bullets (including well regarded here on the 'fire) hit bone and essentially go "splat", and not penetrate past the first lung. About five years ago, I helped in a 5 hour search of a bull shot with a 180g NBT that hit the shoulder and never made it past the first lung. A one lunged, three legged elk can travel a ways making the recovery dicey, especially if it's in deep timber.

The real test of an elk bullet is up close and on bone. Too many people ponder bullet performance at 400 yds, and spend waaaay too much time agonizing over BC.

Moderate expansion, deep penetration, that's the "trick"........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.