Agreed, that how I chose what I use.

Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by SLM
This is where the conversation gets sideways I think.

We have elk country that getting a 50 yard shot is going to be difficult, and we have elk country that is fairly open to wide open and everything in between. What one uses in one area, might not be what one would pick as ideal for the other. I would assume most every state is the same, and people base their opinions on what they see the most. You put me in the jungles of the PNW and I’d be lost for a while on how to kill an elk.

We’ve killed elk with the .243 pretty handily, but not sure I’d use it in the conditions you see up there, conversely, I’d see the .338 a bit much to put up with in the areas we’ve used the .243.

One thing I have noticed is, everyone’s elk spot is thicker, deeper, farther and steeper than the next guys.

Obviously none of this is directed at you, or anyone really.

Originally Posted by Judman
I don’t think anywhere has the type of vegetation, sheer amount of thick shiit we got with the exception of SE Alaska

In most of the elk country we’ve hunted, you can change terrain from 50 yard shots to as far as you dare....by simply crossing a ridge. It’s pretty nice to have one cartridge/rifle that will work well with both! memtb