Originally Posted by rosco1
I’m continually baffled by guys that have killed a lot of elk but continue to preach about “dark timber” and the shot that’d get away because of a bullet.

Ever seen a Texas heart shot bull with a Berger? It’ll require a finisher, but you won’t need to do any tracking.

Let me guess, Next up will be target bullets cause too much meat damage on ass shots.

I've taken that shot but not on an elk. It was a Dall ram, my only chance for a shot as it was about to to disappear over a rise, on the last evening I could shoot one. Which was day 9 of a twelve day trip because it was a three-day "hike" out if we were packing a sheep and our gear.

Which is a long way of saying, anyone who wants to give me grief for taking that shot, save the keyboard strokes, I wasn't gonna pass up a my only chance for a shot.

It was 280 yards, the rifle was a .260 Remington, and the bullet was a 123 grain Scenar. Hit the ram in the hip, broke that and the femur and the ram dropped like a rock.

And yep, it did damage some meat but the little "target bullet" performed as well as I could've hoped.

A wise man is frequently humbled.