Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by boatanchor
To me the dog turd of the bunch is the 223WSSM, was a bad design from the get-go

But it turned out the rifle wouldn't group ANYTHING under about 3", so I sent it to Charlie Sisk for a rebarrel. He put on a faster-twist Lilja, and it shoots great. But he also noted that the barrel and action threads were so mis-matched that while unscrewing the factory barrel, it essentially came off within half a turn--which was probably the major cause of the poor accuracy. Hard to get a rifle to shoot when the barrel's essentially rattling around in the front of the action.

I bought a .300 Weatherby MK-V Euromark back in 1986. It was a beautiful rifle and shot fine at first, but after awhile the accuracy went to pot. I tried all of the conventional cures to no avail, so I had it rebarreled to .340 Wby. The gunsmith discovered that the threads on the old barrel were undersized or messed up in some way. The factory had used epoxy on the threads when they installed the barrel, and after a certain amount of shooting, the heat had caused the epoxy to crumble, at which point the barrel began to rattle around in the threads of the receiver, ruining accuracy. The rifle shot very well once a properly threaded barrel was installed.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 01/11/21.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...