Originally Posted by Bill Poole
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by cra1948
One of my favorites, the .25-20, ... We are now making brass from .32-20 brass ....

Maybe have to see if Starline will make it in the future....

... making them from Starline .32-20's, which is not difficult....

Perhaps you guys could give me some pointers

I got a 100 .32-20 cases and, using the .25-20 dies, tried to resize to .25-20. I had a whole bunch of buckled and folded necks and shoulders, the fold is lengthwise as the material from what used to be a .32 diameter neck folds at some point and the rest becomes a .25 diameter neck.

I think I had a 16% failure rate, ending up with 84 cases or something like that.

is there another trick to getting reliable re-sizing? do we need a series of forming dies to go to .30, .28, .26 then finally .25? if so, who makes them?

Thanks

Poole

Here's what works for me: First, I use Imperial sizing lube and very little of it, around the top half of the neck. Second, I don't try to reform in one pass. I have no idea why it makes a difference, but I find I lose fewer cases if I run it in a little (maybe a third of the neck) rotate the case about 120 degrees, run it in again, another third, rotate another 120 degrees, run it all the way in. Honestly, if you're getting 84% the way you're doing it, I wouldn't worry about it. Once they're formed to your chamber, you can back off with your FL die a little and, with reasonable, .25-20 level loads, the cases will last forever. I would guess that, doing the way I do, I still lose 5 - 10 % of my cases, but I don't sweat it. I've found I'm going to lose some any time I do a very extreme case reforming. As an example, I probably lose 15 or 20 percent making .22 HP from .30-30's, but so what? At most ranges, you'll find once fired .30-30 brass for nothing, often picked up and put back in the boxes and left on the bench for whomever might want it. (My experience, anyway.) I've found I can reduce losses by a certain amount of "process engineering" in most cases, but it all boils down to how much time do I want to spend experimenting and how much do I need, how much is it worth to me?

Mathew 22: 37-39