When I saw the title of this thread the 250 and 300 Savage came to mind immediately. Two calibers that I like and have a couple of rifles in each one. I'm old and set in my ways and if it worked for the likes of O'Connor &, Keith, it's fine by me. The animals we hunt haven't changed. I have come to really enjoy hunting with single shot rifles in the last couple of years and had a 38-55 built on a 1885 High Wall action. If I ever hunt in an area that won't allow a bottleneck cartridge but a straight walled one is ok I have a rifle for the job. It might be considered obsolete or old fashioned by some but I can still take a deer or a bear with it same thing with the #1 405. I had a #1 built in a 30 caliber and while I considered a 300 WSM ever so briefly I choose the time proven 300 H&H.
It seems we continue to try to reinvent the wheel and IMHO the 300 H&H VS the 300 WSM is a good example as the ballistics are for the most part pretty much the same. I have no need or want for the latest and alleged greatest new super whiz bang magnum. I like the 6.5X55 better than the Creedmoor partly because of it's history. It seems the focus has become on how far away an animal can be shot versus actually hunting that animal. Nobody I know says there going deer shooting.
One (and probably the only one ) of the new whiz bang calibers that I have is a 25 WSSM and I've had it 20 years. This is in a Cooper Varmint Extreme. I bought because it was a varmint rifle and had Exhibition French walnut (I'm also a wood whore) case colored action and rings. I bought all the brass I could find and accumulated about 800 pieces so I'll not run out in my lifetime.
If it's not broken don't fix it but society cries for something new every year from automobiles to guns and the marketing people have to adjust to what the people want I understand that but this person just doesn't subscribe to that.