The old saying what is old will be new again comes to mind.
I love odd ball calibers. Walk in to a "good" gunshop that has been around and find some odd ball caliber ammo gathering dust with price stickers from 20 years ago. That get's my heart thumpin.
Twenty years ago you could not find a gun chambered in 6mm Rem. I picked up a Ruger no 1 in 6mm awhile back and since then I have seen several people talking about 6mm Remington. Back as a kid in the early 80's I found a single 348 Winchester shell in a box of collectible ammo. I fell in love with that round. never seen a gun chambered in it. A few years later Browning came out with the repro. maybe odd ball but I love me a model 71. I bought a 600 Remington in 350 mag in my late teens and would buy any box of ammo I across. I think I invested wisely.
Some folks may say this caliber or that is headed for the trash can of history. Please show me the trash can. I'll go dumpster diving.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.