The only change that would work, would be for all of the shooting public to be willing to pay more so that someone within the supply chain would be willing to carry/warehouse inventory.

NOBODY is going to sit on a "slush-fund" of loaded ammo except the end user. The end users are sitting on somewhere between "None" and "Holy JUMPIN' CATFISH!!".

Consumers have proven time and again that they're not willing to pay businesses extra to cover the costs of carrying inventory. When inventory is normal, there are folks who won't even pay full-price. They wait for the pre-season sale or post-season clearance.

Consumers bear the costs of carrying inventory themselves by buying surplus when it's available.

Margins in most ammo are dogschist to begin with. Often times running $1-$2 off/box pre-season the retailers are using that ammo as a loss-leader to get you in the door.

I don't sell stuff in times like this, not at any price. I have a very few close friends that if they're short and I have what they need, I give it to them with the understanding that they'll replace it when supply is available again. I don't cheat them, they don't short me and those same friends would be willing to work the same deal with me should I be short something.

Last edited by horse1; 01/26/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.