Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Im looking at the rifle and components and im thinking to myself what in the world would i use this for or use it on. I kinda dont get it.

Let's get right down to it. I'll argue that the vast majority of what we all own will do 98% of what and how we hunt. To exclude .22 CFs, I have in hunting rifles.

.257 Roberts
6.5x55
7-08
.275 Rigby
.300 Savage
.30-06
.300 H&H

I think I could easily pick up any of them and go hunt virtually anything in North America and do just fine. Now, some are lighter and some are heavier, some are single shot, some are levers, most are bolts, some are scoped and some not, those that are scoped vary in scopes. Don't get me started on why I own more than one of some of these calibers! Really it's more the platform than the cartridge, especially as a hand-loader with access to so many bullet types.

Now I know that I have just put the renewal of my rifle looney membership card in jeopardy with that statement but to reply to "why a .257 Roberts", why not! It has a neat history, a wide range of bullets and powders that work and it comes in a full range of interesting rifles as it's been a factory loaded round for 87 years! Glory in the "because I want one" freedom we have as Americans to engage in "full bore linear looneydom" to twist a phrase from the late Patrick F. McManus.

grin

I purchased a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 7mm-08 this year and I am going to put a lightweight Leupold scope on it and use it for all of my hunting. Okay, at least that is my plan for right now. Not sure what I am going to do with the 243, 257, 270, 280, 308, 30-06, 32, 325, 338. grin

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member