Originally Posted by Mule Deer
rickt300,

Apparently you don't have much experience with any other so-called "premium" bullets than TTSXs. They're great bullets--Eileen and I have killed some game every year since they appeared--but I have used a bunch of other bullets that penetrate more than sufficiently on big game from 100-pound animals like pronghorn to 800-1500 pound animals from elk to moose and buffalo. But have shot lengthwise through pronghorn bucks with 120-grain 6.5mm Nosler Ballistic Tips. Won't mention the cartridge because too many here would throw a schidt-fit.

Might also mention that I started using Nosler Partitions back when they were still lathe-turned. The two I first used (because I had so few rifles back then) were the 130-grain .270 and 200-grain Partition. Never recovered any, on game up through elk.

I like the Partitions a lot but there was a time when bullet weight meant a lot more than it does now. I feel many bullets including some cup n cores have improved greatly since 40 years ago. I still have some lathe turned Noslers in 30 caliber. I used some of the 150 gr. 308's year before last. Think I have a full box of 200 grain old style Partitions. Back in the 70's and 80's I used 150 grain bullets in my 270 and 180's in my 30-06 because both rifles did double duty on elk and deer. I guess I am nostalgic for the era when I used the heavier bullets most, I used Partitions then when I could get them. Or Speer Hotcors when I couldn't. Now having just at least one rifle in all the major bore diameters up to .358 I play with lots of different bullets. For do it all deer hunting using cup and core bullets I still like at least 120 grain bullets. I will use lighter bullets though depending on how and where I am hunting. If recoil isn't a problem the heavies can still work just fine. My 260 is loaded with 100 gr. Partitions right now pushed to an easy 3200 fps. Works pretty good and I can't think of anything I wouldn't use that load for that I would a 120 gr. Bullet. Soon as I accept reality I am going to pick one bore diameter and use it for all my big game hunting and two for coyotes. Thinking about that I realize the impossibility of it......

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]