Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
257 Roberts whats the attraction

This is definitely one of those "if you have to ask you wouldn't understand" sort of things.

There is no doubt my own attraction to the round is mostly fueled by nostalgia, and I like a Roberts wrapped around blued steel and walnut. That's what I'd want in my hands were I sitting in a deerstand for Whitetail rather than a Stainless-Plastic-Fantastic.

There are a number of 308 fans on this site, and I'm absolutely one of them. But the 308 kicks more than the Roberts, and I have never seen where a 308 is any more effective on deer sized game. Does the Rob do anything more than the 243 does? Except in the minds of a few loonies, not really. And not being readily available in factory ammo, the 308 or 243 are infinitely more practical than the 257, which is really a handloading proposition. But what it does have is an indefinable quality that you either "get" or don't.

My 257...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery