If you’ve shot it at the range next to your .308, you wouldn’t be asking that question. I bought one for the kid and I wondered where all the recoil went? What a pleasant shooting cartridge! The kid doesn’t hunt and my butt is still sore from kicking myself for selling off that 760 .257 Roberts. I started a thread once on another hunting forum asking what cartridges killed out of proportion to their paper ballistics? The .257 Roberts and the .44 Magnum tied for first place. The ammo companies load those .25’s with bullets designed for deer size game. Not always the case with the larger 30’s. In the Cedar Ridge deer shooting test some years back, they measured the distance 400 plus deer ran after the shot using different cartridges. The .25 caliber deer travelled the shortest distance on average. If you load your own, you can get a Roberts right on the heels of a .25-06 if your rifle will handle modern pressure levels.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory