[quote=Theoldpinericker] I dont know about nostalgia but i dont target deer specifically most times. To me they are mostly incidental if elk season overlaps. As i mentioned earlier, at the moment i dont live where the deer and antelope play but in timbered country. Specifically i spend most time in N Idaho, the Selway, and NW Montana. Sometimes i go north for moose, sometimes ive been in the Crazies, the Beartooths and that region of Montana.

I like heavier bullets but im also a big 338, 348, 358, 375 fanboy. Id probably love the 9.3 too if i had one. But these things are my very favorite. They have some real punch and useful range. /quote]

I have considerable experience with the .338 Winchester Magnum, along with various "mediums" from the .338 Winchester Magnum up through the .358 STA, 9,3x62 and .375 H&H, both in North America and various other places. Hunted a lot with the .338 throughout the 1990s, but didn't find it noticeably more effective than .30 calibers. Do think that at around .35 caliber cartridges become somewhat more effective, but that also depends a lot on the bullet used, placement, etc. etc.

But so far haven't found any cartridge or bullet the magic answer--but have found the .30-06 to be a LOT "bigger" cartridge than many hunters think.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck