Originally Posted by Mule Deer
shinbone,

I think theoldpinecricker is pretty nostalgic. He keeps mentioning heavier bullets as being superior for deer hunting, which is a good indication that he's still wandering around in the past.

I dont know about nostalgia but i dont target deer specifically most times. To me they are mostly incidental if elk season overlaps. As i mentioned earlier, at the moment i dont live where the deer and antelope play but in timbered country. Specifically i spend most time in N Idaho, the Selway, and NW Montana. Sometimes i go north for moose, sometimes ive been in the Crazies, the Beartooths and that region of Montana.

I like heavier bullets but im also a big 338, 348, 358, 375 fanboy. Id probably love the 9.3 too if i had one. But these things are my very favorite. They have some real punch and useful range.

I also like stuff that represents a great deal of usefulness and is cost effective. Thats what ive come to find in 308win and 180gr bullets. Ive also recently aquired for the first time a 270win and jave found a great deal of very affordable factory ammo and also bullet components. I dont know why it took this long to recognize that but finally i did. I cant wait to use it. It makes more sense than a 257 Roberts in that theres a good deal of crossover in weights that are close and the economy and availibity of the 270 is really good. Even now.

Ive nothing against my 257 Roberts. I may be nostalgic because i do love the 348win. But really im not a cool kid and just wonder why a 257 is so revered. I think im finding out it more of a club or "me too" thing but thats alright and nothing wrong with it if it floats ones boat or dingy or yacht.