Originally Posted by victoro
There is a lot of detailed information about cholesterol in this video that I haven't watched all the way through yet. I was surprised to find out that LDL cholesterol prevents the calcification of r arteries and does a lot of other really good things. I've had high cholesterol probably all my life but wasn't prescribed statin drugs until I was in my late 30's by a doctor who was convinced I would soon die of a heart attack. He also put me on the diet that is supposed to lower your cholesterol numbers. After a couple of years of trying this diet and different statin drugs (Lipitor was the worse) I quit because they made me so tired and weak. I went back to my old ways of eating like my Grandparents and working hard and have felt great ever since.

When I was in my 70's I decided to get in shape for one the Senior Olympic that year. I paid for a heart CT and for sonograms of my carotid arteries, my abdomen and legs. I told the young lady doing the carotid artery scan that my mother had a 98% blockage in her right carotid artery when was 65. When I got the results found that I had calcium deposits in my "widow maker" heart artery that was in the average range for my age and that I had some calcium deposits in my right carotid artery (surprise). I saw a Cardiologist for more tests that included a nuclear stress test. He wanted to prescribe a stain drug but I told him I wouldn't take them. He then prescribed lots of exercise. The next 3 carotid artery scans showed that: 1) my right carotid artery is clear but my left carotid artery has some blockage 2) neither carotid artery is blocked 3) neither carotid artery is blocked. I'm scheduled to get another carotid artery scan later this year.

I'm 78 now and have never had any physical symptoms of blocked arteries or heart disease. I may die of a heart attack tomorrow but I believe I'm still active and healthy because I refused to take statin drugs. I always believed that statin drugs was just a scam to make the drug companies richer. Now they also have very expensive shots to lower your cholesterol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_QdNX9etCg

That's encouraging.
It's surprising how much better exercise and good nutrition work over drugs and surgery.
Recovery is MUCH faster too.