I've killed about a dozen turkeys with TSS #9s, and watched buddies shoot about that many more. Ranges from 15 to over 60 yards....all birds dropped at the shot, none ran off. A few things, other than the density, help the federal loads.

The flight control wad doesn't separate from the shot, until about the 20-25 yard mark. Out to that point, it is basically a slug....or, as my hunting buddy says, "it's like you have a 25 yard barrel, on your gun". This helps to account for those insanely dense 40 yard patterns, along with the enormous pellet count. Also, a good argument for a double barrel gun.....one barrel with TSS and one with a more open choke and nickel #5s, for closer shots. It's too easy to miss those head shots, when the shot is still in the wad!

The other thing is the small diameter of the pellets. Less resistance while in flight, and when going through the bird. I have not seen any feather draw, while cleaning the birds, and most pellets, in the body, exit. The crop and the neck will catch them, due to the "rubber like" material. But, they typically exit through the body, even at extended ranges. Plus the hardness of tungsten keeps the shot from deforming.....results in better patterns, more broken bones, along with more exit holes.

The only drawback, that I've found, is the few pellets that stay in the meat are a real danger to your teeth!

Andy3