Originally Posted by LFC
"96 yards"...if a feller shoots turkeys that far he needs his head examined.
Sad thing is someone will read that and believe they can shoot turkeys that far.

Rick I'd still like to know the mathematical equation for figuring energy density ?

And now you see why I posted Tom Roster's chart.

This is way down the road and really not worth the time going through if you remain convinced that TSS is all smoke and mirrors, but JIC and/or for others that may be reading :

Yes, 96 yards is a ridiculous range. You will likely be pattern-limited well before that. Roster's data is good (It's mainly all we have, too) but it is waterfowl/steel-oriented. Still it is a good guide of the pattern densities we'd like to see to get multiple hits on species of known sizes to assure quick and sure lethality and avoid cripples. And dabbling in these waters will require you to pattern YOUR gun, which is anything but inexpensive with TSS!

That said, TSS tends to pattern tight ... and jaw-dropping shots are to be expected when your previous frame of reference is lead-shot performance, not to speak of steel. This comment is mine alone and draws upon 2 hunting seasons (one in progress) of steady use on flying birds ... with a 20 and 28 ga.

Seems to me turkey hunting would lend itself to some pretty unreal opportunities to make longer shots ... each situation limited by shooter skill and/or PROVEN ballistic performance at the patterning board.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine