I can tell you, I have shot barn roofing tin at 40 yards with both lead #6 and TSS #9 shot. The lead #6 poked about 3 holes in the tin and dented it. The TSS #9 poked about 50 or 60 holes in it and made much bigger dents.
The fact remains that 1) you have way more hits per square inch with #9 TSS than you do with lead #4, 5 or 6 shot, and you can do this with less oz. of shot.
I pattern my guns and know what I can do and what the pattern looks like at 50 yards. Do I shoot birds that far, no I don't, I do not shoot a bird any further out than I would with any other type of shell. I like them in around 20 yards or so if I had to pick a yardage to shoot them at.
Why do I shoot TSS, because of 2 reasons, 1) IT WORKS very well and with more hits per square inch than lead (due to the pellet count) it gives super clean quick kills. You do not have to jump up and run stand on the birds head like you do with lead or some other less effective shot type. 2) I can reduce the shot load which reduces recoil. This is kind of a big deal to me as I have had 2 shoulder surgeries and don't want a 3rd one.

LFC, you have brought this subject up before and beat this horse. You have been told the truth about TSS and yet you still stir the pot about it not killing birds. So be it, that is your right but at the same time you admitted before that you have never shot TSS. You sure seem to know a lot about what it will and will not do for someone that has never even shot it. All I can say about your buddies that will not come on the innerweb and have had to shoot birds 2 or more times with TSS and still had them run off, they did not shoot them where they should have. Maybe they did not pattern their gun or yanked the trigger or ?

After calling in a bird for my friend that I hunt with on his farm and watching him miss a big tom at less than 25 yards 3 shots with lead shells, I made him pattern his gun, it shot way off and he no longer hunts with that gun. He would have missed that bird with whatever shell he had been using.

Last edited by pullit; 01/04/22.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....