Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by RickBin
Familiar with KPY shotgun ballistics program?

Real quick:
1300 fps
1 1/4 oz shot charge

Chilled lead #4 (167 pellets)

@ 60 yards:

Final Vel: 582
Energy (ft/lbs): 2.45
Energy Density (ft / lbs /sq in): 184.8
Gel Penetration: 1.72

TSS #9 (447 pellets)

@ 60 yards:

Final Vel: 577
Energy (ft/lbs): 0.90
Energy Density (ft / lbs /sq in): 179.6
Gel Penetration: 1.67

Contemplating these numbers will lead you down all sorts of paths regarding the relative merits of TSS. You can make of these what you'd like, but here is one take:

Individual #9 TSS and #4 chilled lead pellets are as above @ 60 yards in terms of lethality. The density of TSS allows you to have 267% more pellets per shot charge, or to shoot lighter/faster charges (increasing energy), or both, or duplexing with steel loads, or, or or ..

As you stated foot pounds of energy with a lead #4 pellet is alot greater...not sure how they came up.with "energy density" ?

If it comes down to one pellet killing the turkey my money is riding on a #4 copper plated lesd

One thing TSS offers for sure is alot more shot to pick out of the meat should your aim get off....

Some guys claim total penetration with TSS....guys with cracked teeth will argue differently.

Ps...I'm shooting a 2 oz load of #4s.

1] OK, let's roll with that "foot pounds of energy is a lot greater" POV and leave aside the counterarguments for now. In comparing lead to TSS as a basis for turkey hunting (not my application but ...), there are lots of other sizes of TSS. See above analysis with a #7.5 TSS load that walks all over the #4 lead load from an exterior ballistics POV.

2] I am not a turkey hunter, but the scenarios I have seen where turkeys are headshot with a shotgun leads me to believe those situations where "one pellet" makes "the" difference is pretty minimal (I am more than willing to be shown differently), and of course, can further be reduced by using a TSS shot charge with LOTS more pellets per charge weight.

3] Actually, in my experience, this is not true (again, I don't hunt turkeys). I find that TSS is typically a pass-through. Where I find pellets is in birds I shoot with steel/TSS duplex loads, and they are predictably steel pellets. Either way, pellets on teeth is not good no matter what material it is, and steel, and the various heavys are very hard.

4] Please don't make me show you what kind of a load I could make with a 2-oz charge of TSS!

4A]

2 oz of plated #4 lead shot ~ 273 pellets.

2 oz of #7.5 TSS ~ 427 pellets.

Or if you wanted ~ 270 pellets / charge you could shoot 1 1/4 oz of #7.5 TSS (267 pellets) instead of 2 oz #4 lead.

Even if we kept the fps equal at 1000 fps, the #4 load will penetrate gel to 2 inches to 36.7 yards, and the #7.5 TSS will do the same ... at 59.6 yards. SO already the TSS load is waxing the lead, even before I step that 1 1/4 TSS load to 1309 fps, and yes, I have the proofed load data for that load right in front of me ....

.... which kicks up the range to 74.6 yards. smile

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine