Originally Posted by efw
One of the gentlemen from whom I am a spiritual descendant, J. Gresham Machen, opposed prayer in schools recognizing that a state-sponsored prayer would suit no one but statists. He also declined the invitation of William Jennings Bryan to take the stand as Bryan’s witness in the Scopes trial.

I think that most religious conservatives as you call us would be pretty libertarian on this question.

The problem from my point of view is that we have no common thread that gives our culture any cohesion any longer. We used to have morals that generally reflected the second tablet of the law of the OT but that has not only disappeared but been turned on it’s head.

Now many in the culture (take note of the first four letters of that word) would have their anti-religion enforced upon everyone, including even children.

This isn’t sustainable.

Well said.

Forcing my religious beliefs on someone else would be pointless. What we do need as efw said is a common culture. Generally agreed on socially excepted morals. A Baptist and a Lutheran can have differences over exact religious philosophy so long as they have a somewhat similar worldview. The same for any other generally mainstream Christian religions that were the cornerstones for Western culture and nuclear families over villages ect. A small group of atheists may hold similar worldviews and excepted societal standards and that’s works too.

What we have today in my opinion is a mostly secular or atheist society that given that philosophy has no reason to uphold traditional cultural norms. If it feels good do it. You only live once. Might is right ect, ect. We’ve become a short sighted selfish society with high divorce rates and out of wedlock children and very little to hold any of us together as a people or nation absent traditional Western values that are rooted in Christianity.