Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by BigFiveJack

This is at the bottom of your every post:
My ideal as a conservative:

That each person may reap as he/she has sown.

IT'S FROM THE BIBLE !

Galatians 6:7 - ...for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

2 Corinthians 9:6 - But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

All cool in theory. What about reality. You are born to a meth head mother and watch her get beaten every day by her man du jour. You are treated like dirt. You only know survival, You do bad things to survive because that is all you know. Are you hosed by God for that?

Cheyenne;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the last day of March was a good one for you and you're all well.

When I read your query that is quoted a couple instances came to my mind that gave me hope that there is an alternative to doing bad things, but admittedly one is an example of someone I don't really know. That person is Gavin de Becker who wrote The Gift of Fear and seems to have come from an extremely tumultuous and violent home life in his younger years.

I learned about Gavin de Becker years ago and was struck by the similarity to a friend who I respect very much, who I've known for more than 4 decades now. This friend doesn't ever talk much about his childhood, but when he did the few times, I was shocked both at how horrific it was and yet how much of a solid, productive and truly fine human he'd become in spite of it.

It's somewhat speculation on my part, but I get the impression that in those two instances the people made the decision to reject all or most aspects of that lifestyle and then went on to attempt to help their fellow humans instead.

While I don't know at all if Mr. de Becker has theistic beliefs or not, my friend does and it's he's been what I'd consider a blessing to me and others too from what I've seen, so in this instance he wasn't hosed by God for it.

As an aside, Greg/crossfireoops used to call me "hoser" and your use of the word reminded me of him and some pleasant exchanges we had over the years, so thanks very much for that as I do appreciate it.

In the end I hope and pray that more than less of us are trying to negotiate staying out of the ditches in this thing we call life in the best way possible, hopefully maintaining and building on what we've been given so the next shift will be successful, you know?

Anyways sir, thanks for letting me share some random thoughts that were brought on by your post.

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 03/31/22. Reason: better wording?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"