Originally Posted by RiverRider
Has there ever been a successful society that did not believe in the divine origins of humanity?

There certainly have been hundreds that had no knowledge of the Christian God.

Chinese history rivals that of the Hebrew.

Man is an imaginative creature and easily invents myth to cover the inadequacies of his understanding.

Originally Posted by The Last Lemming
Most people are going to do what feels good or what they perceive to be in their best interest not societies best interest. What a society with a strong Christian faith as we one had does it convince the average person to at least aspire to a code of behavior that is in their best interest as in eternal life as a reward and social acceptance. That also benefits society as a whole. Take God out of the equation and most people don’t give a damn about putting societal good over personal good.

Nothing I can disagree with there. It takes a lot of education to overcome the basic selfish nature of mankind. In the real world, I observe little difference between the selfish nature of those well educated in the way of God, or those who had minimal training in such matters.

Originally Posted by EFW

A) not true; the first four govern worship and unless we’re talking about a really intellectually honest non-believer who is going to govern his self worship he isn’t going to come up w/ these rules

Those first four also give the Priest authority, and power of life and death over the members of the tribe. How else does the tribe know "the Will of God", but from the mouth of the Priest?

Originally Posted by GreginTenn
That is a view I can appreciate. As Christians, we are commanded to tell you about Jesus and salvation. What you do with that is up to you. I do not understand the perceived need of many to try and force it down your throat. I can and do respect your position. I hope you can understand mine. Many don't.

I fully understand your position and fully respect it. The simple truth is I do not know God. I can feel no God around me or in the environment.

That you do is wonderful for you.

Originally Posted by Bristoe

What is your point in starting divisive threads like this?

Simple discussion. Can not intelligent persons exchange ideas without creating devision?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.