Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Backstory?
Yes. Often on this forum nonbelievers are declared to be " part of the problem". They are declared to be supportive of liberals.

I and I am sure many other nonbelivers are as sincere in our moral and conservative values as any Christian, even if we are unsure of the existence of God.

Freedom of religion must include the pagans, jews, muslims, hindus, buddhists, as well as freedom FROM religion.

That's ticklish, IS, but I understand what you're saying. I'd just say that both sides of the argument need to agree to disagree and avoid divisive rancor. It seems we conservatives are prone to it...it just seems to be inherent in conservative philosophy when you contrast us against the libs...they tend to get in lockstep with a position and mindlessly push it, independent thought be damned. We, OTOH, beat dead horses to death routinely. Go figure.

As far as "freedom from religion" goes, that's not a thing. The whole separation of church and state argument is null and void. I am sure you are aware that the concept originated in some correspondence between Thomas Jefferson (I think) and another party, in which Jefferson emphasized his belief that government had no business involving itself in religion---not the other way around. The invention of the concept of "separation of church and state" was simply twisting of those words.

I know quite a few decent fellows who I trust implicitly and think highly of, and who have no religious conviction. It does not relegate a guy to the status of slimeball. And I know of some who claim to be devout Christians who are, IMO, absolute slimeballs.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.