Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Handloading is one thing.

Load Development is another.

It’s a learning process, and like anything worthwhile, takes time, thought, patience

Once you learn the finer points of handloading, applying them to load development is fun. I enjoy taking a new-to-me rifle and solving its accuracy puzzle with everything I’ve learned.

Exploring methods of load development and refining the process to get consistent results with different rifles is very satisfying. Taking those rifles and loads into the field for a hunt or to competitive matches with confidence is a great feeling knowing that your system is as good as it can be.

With all due respect to your enthusiasm for the higher levels of the game (and mine), cranking out decent ammo for hunting, practice, and futzing around is pretty easy with the minimal equipment I started with. Not a single deer I’ve killed in the past 50+ years would have escaped because of the quality of the ammo from those simple tools wasn’t up to the job. Handloading can become its own reason for existence if you let it, which is fine, but I hate to see anyone pass on it because they feel overwhelmed by the need for a bunch of gear, or all the jargon and complexity associated with the advanced practices. I still remember the satisfaction of simply refilling my fired cases and cracking them off another time or two. More folks should get involved at that level, if primers ever get back on the shelf anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?