Originally Posted by beretzs
In common stuff like the 270, 30-06, 308, 7 Rem Mag, 300 Win there is still a good selection of ammo that isn’t crazy priced for a hunting gun.

I’ll let my Mashburn and 300 RUM take the season off.

Even for the common stuff I roll my own. I don't even go in the ammo section of the store. Well, now I stroll thru to look at the prices. I am kinda finding the "standard" cals are getting boring. Not that they are bad, ineffective or won't kill, I would just rather use something a bit less mainstream. I didn't draw an elk tag this year, so the 9.3x64 Brenneke (maybe factory ammo can be had with enough $$ and waiting) will get a rest. Deer and antelope will be chased with a 6.5x47 Lapua (I don't know if there is factory ammo available for this) and a 26 Nosler (factory ammo is stupidly expensive).
Other than a partial box of oddball stuff here or there at gunshows, the last time I bought ammo was about 12 years ago when I bought a 7x57R drillings. S&B ammo was $17 a box and that was cheaper/easier than me making it out of 444 Marlin brass. A 5 box purchase then will provide me with a lifetime of brass for that gun.

I don't reload shotgun anymore, so I do purchase any 12, 16, 20 ga ammo that I might need. It has been better than 20 years but I do purchase 7.62x39, as I won't reload for a gun that will never be accurate (no matter what I do on my end).

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right