I got into it because I wanted to use a bullet that was a handload only proposition. Then I got interested in some competitions, then casting bullets, then oddball guns and cartridges. I resisted a lot of the bughole rabbit holes for a long time, kind of started going down those holes a bit now. Gave me the opportunity to meet some good folk, have a lot of fun, do & shoot some stuff I never would have considered if I didn't handload. Does make it tricky to go into various gun shops and gun shows though, some I walk out of clean, others have cost me bigtime.
There is always the debate, OK, I have them or have means to make bullets, need dies, have right powders?,find some brass. Some guns have been in a cartridge I didn't really want, but, could work with, as they were a deal I couldn't say no to. Others got bought because I had an application for it as an excuse. Others were just cause I wanted to tinker with it. It isn't all that difficult, there is an absolute bonanza of product and info out there now that wasn't really as accessible when I started, as it is now, also more hype and BS around.
Overall, it is worth it in the long run.