Originally Posted by Idaho1945
I think I have 8 segments of "Tracks Across Africa" recorded & in 2 of them they pay tribute to 2 African PH's who paid the ultimate price when following up dangerous game that had been wounded by clients. Both of these gentlemen were experienced, well respected PH's who had been in the business for a very long time, the odds just caught up with them after the clients had made less than fatal shots on Cape Buffalo.
One PH stepped right in front of his client & emptied his rifle trying to save him, which he did but gave up his own life in the process. Hunting the big Five..... or the big Six if you include Hippo comes with a cost that everyone must accept, not every client realizes that but every single PH does.
Myself, I think every animal over there is capable of taking you out if you get carless, just like Kamo gari mentions above, even a deer can do it. On every single one of my animals on both trips my PH had me put a "finisher" in each animal just to be sure. A shot through the spine just in case.
On my last safari a few months ago I had a young PH working on his second season & after shooting my Gemsbok with a high shoulder shot & dropping it I walked up and he said, put a "finisher" between the shoulder blades, down through the spine. I did & that closed the deal. He then said that just the year before his best friend, a fellow young PH had grabbed the horns on a "dead" Gemsbok for photo's & the dead bull thrust it's head back & pierced his friends heart with one of those horns, killing him right in front of all of them.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/PXYFir9h.jpg?1[/img]
Dick

Tragic ends to what I assume were good men. Some folks out there pay a steep, steep price to help make others' dreams come true. Thanks for posting and RIP to those who were lost.