Originally Posted by Teal
If I may -

Always alot of talk about the PH responsibilities in such matters. What about the client's?

I don't know if it's enumerated or specifically understood but just me, and for me, I don't know that I could look at my PH and say "welp, that's messed up. Go in there and root him out. I'll wait here - good luck". I made the shot - as a hunter, I finish what I started. I'd feel like I was expected to take part in the follow up and hunt until the animal is dead. Now that might mean we come up with a plan and execute it together and likely the PH is going to know where to put me where I can do the least damage to someone else due to inexperience with the situation but damn it - I'd want to at the least, be involved.

I've pondered the same before and there was little thought involved before concluding that I'd be going with the PH to do anything I could to try to help finish anything I started/botched. Then again, I imagine some pros would feel that a rookie DG hunter would be nothing but a hindrance on such a risky endeavor. Still, I'd have a serious problem letting another man risk his life for a game animal on my behalf. Anyway, Teal, I hear you and feel the same.

Interesting, but I don't recall ever reading of anyone in a situation where an immediate follow-up just seemed so dangerous and fraught with levels of peril just made a follow-up exercise plainly foolhardy, and it was decided that a trophy fee would be paid but that a follow-up would be put on hold. Maybe even on a permanent hold? Whether it be chasing after a wounded brown bear in a thick alder jungle or a shot up cape buffalo in the thick jesse, one might think that a fresh guide or PH following up the next day--or better yet a team of experienced guides/PHs (I know, not necessarily even an option in a remote bush camp) following up would in some cases be the prudent thing to do. Obviously, it does happen, as in situations where night is falling and the like. No one in their right mind is happily headed out in the dark to poke around looking for a wounded leopard, right?

There's no obligation to my mind that anyone taking a client on a DG hunt is obligated to go on a suicide mission for the client/hunter. But then there are those pesky ethics and maybe even pride things that come into play. An enraged and wounded animal may be prone to smashing or ripping up any human it came across, like a villager, or the guys the next mountain over doing some fishing or hunting of their own. Then there's the suffering of the animal. Tough choices, I figure, but one does indeed wonder about the risk vs. reward aspect.

As far as MS, if what many in the know have written and say is true, that MS's MO for the making of his 'Death in The XYZ' series of videos was to intentionally wound and provoke game into charges for the benefit of exciting footage to be sold, well, to me that's pure scumbaggery. Doesn't surprise me that you think that's a comical thing, though.

Hunting, being what it is, can be dangerous anywhere. A guy I booked an African hunt through shot his PH's arm to pieces from behind with a .458WM while following up on an already shot up buffalo. Hell, duck hunters die all the time. Naturally, not at the hands (er, wings) of the duck, but some folks just had to learn the hard way (my hand's up)...

So, Teal, you have any trophy buff pics to share? wink