Originally Posted by jdollar
I’ve seen 2 buffs run away with a .375 heart shot. They both ran well over 100 yards. The hope is that they run away and not at you. It’s illegal to hunt buffalo with a smaller caliber than .375 or 9.3.

Originally Posted by jdollar
I’ve seen 2 buffs run away with a .375 heart shot. They both ran well over 100 yards. The hope is that they run away and not at you. It’s illegal to hunt buffalo with a smaller caliber than .375 or 9.3.
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by KillerBee
I find it hard to believe that lest say @ 100 yards broad side that a 300 Min Mag with Nosler 180 grains on a double lung shot would not take one down? I have never been to Africa and was unaware that they tell you what to shoot. There is no way a lion can survive a well-placed 300 Win Mag shot.

"I have never been to Africa"

It shows. Let me help you out. I've been to Africa, quite a number of times. I've hunted RSA, Zambia, Tanzania and Cameroon all multiple times. I've seen animals drop in their tracks from good shots and others seemed immune from good shots.

Originally Posted by KillerBee
I find it hard to believe that lest say @ 100 yards broad side that a 300 Min Mag with Nosler 180 grains on a double lung shot would not take one down? There is no way a lion can survive a well-placed 300 Win Mag shot.

Originally Posted by RobertRuark
"Use enough gun"

Originally Posted by Phillip Percival
"It's the dead ones that kill you"

My apologies gentlemen I should have been more precise in my comment, my bad!

What I meant by: "All I will say is that there is no way on earth "Black Death" is walking away from a heart shot with a 300 Win Mag, period!"

Is that the animal would NOT SURVIVE the shot. Can it run away or at you with the adrenalin factor? ABSOLUTELY!!! That is why most people that hunt them have PHs' backing them up, which is certainly a wise decision. Cape Buffalo are called "Black Death for a reason.

I heart shot one very large whitetail with a 30-06 and he took off an made it about 80 yards before he expired, to my complete amazement!

On another occasion I shot a 400 lbs. black bear twice with my shotgun using Federal Express High Shok 3" magnum slugs at 13 yards, he took off at 100 mph, again to my complete amazement! He made it about 60 yards, did he survive NO. When I opened him up, there was nothing left of his lungs, they were liquified, as was his liver from the second shot. And like I said even though there was nothing left of his lungs he bolted out of there with lightning speed.

Did they run away, absolutely! Did they survive ABSOLUTELY NOT.

That is what I meant by, "I find it hard to believe that lets say @ 100 yards broad side that a 300 Min Mag with Nosler 180 grains on a double lung shot would not take one down? There is no way a lion can survive a well-placed 300 Win Mag shot.

Here is a video of Tim Wells killing a Cape Buffalo with a SPEAR. at that distance with my 300 Win Mag, I would have taken a head shot. But to be honest I do not have the B---S or the death wish that Tim has, so that is not something I would ever do.

So, if you can kill a Cape Buffalo with a spear and a bow, nobody can convince me that you cannot kill them handily with a 300 Win Mag. I will bet the farm that many a Cape Buffalo have been killed with both 300 Win Mags, as well as the versatile .30-06 over the years and I know for a fact that many had been killed with bows as well.

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 10/04/22.

KB