Horrible incident, condolences to all involved.

My one only buffalo hunt preparation was very similar to ingwe's. Lots of hiking, lots of shooting with my 375 and 404. Somewhere around the 500-600 round count mark. Off hand and sticks practice only, once initial load development and sight in was done. 15-200 yards shooting distances.

Went in not expecting the PH to have to shoot, or finish any mess I may have created alone.

It only took me nine days of hunting though. Got into a couple of pucker situations, but was never scared. A couple more instances where discretion won out and we backed away. Always focused on the moment/task at hand. Wife standing behind just me added to the heightened situational awareness.

PH was there to protect us, I can guarandamntee you that I was going to protect my wife, or die trying.

The actual hunt and shooting the buffalo was pretty pedestrian. I am OK with that. Back to camp by eleven, buffalo in the salt. Celebratories ensued and hunting was scratched for the day. Will never forget that hunt, or day for that matter. I want to go back, fully realizing the seriousness of buffalo hunting.

Arcus Venator