Originally Posted by shootem
Oh, something else. I’ve always HEARD venison fat is a no-no in any otherwise meat dish. Seeings how I’ve become progressively more skeptical of this source of information I put that common knowledge to the test.

I shot the biggest bodied deer I’ve ever taken during muzzleloader season this year. 210 lbs. and fat. So while shootemette and I were processing I cut some small pieces of the ham with some very pretty white fat and dropped it unspiced in the frying pan. Meat was just fine so I tried the fat. No problem. No worse than a bite of beef fat. Was going to save the fat for grind but shootemette vetoed the idea. But next year if there’s plenty of acorns again I’ll do a couple pounds at least.

You definitely don't want to eat the fat if at all possible. If some gets in the ground, its no big deal. Deer fat is waxy. You can make candles out of it. I made the mistake many years ago of making deer ribs where there was a thin layer of fat between the layers of rib meat. It tasted great but about 5 minutes into eating it, I realized my mouth and lips were coated in wax.

2 Kings 2:23-24