Originally Posted by centershot
Got the itch for a .223. Things have changed since I last owned one ~15 years ago. There is a multitude of twists now available to stabilize heavier bullets. I am curious about stabilizing 50-55gr bullets in a 1:8 twist. Is 1:8 too much? Do fragile bullets come apart? or is all good and it opens up some options for heavier 60+gr bullets to shoot longer range? Or, just stick with the old 1:12 and forget the heavier bullets. FWIW: Long shots will be 5-600 yards, typical distances ~300.

I would make a decision how far you want to shoot first, and what you want to shoot at, and go from there. The bullets I like shooting in .223 will not stand up to a fast twist. These are the 45 grain Hornady hornet, 50 grain TNT, and 50 grain SX. Some of the polymer tipped bullets will handle the RPM of a fast twist fine and if they suit you, by all means, go for it. I'll stick with 1-12" or 1-14" if I only have a single .223. I find the whole family of cartridges best inside 250 yards even if they can be stretched further. At 300 and 600 there are much better choices, for example, a .22 Creedmoor or .22-250 AI. In those cases, go with the fast twist and long, high BC bullets. IMHO we've collectively gotten so wrapped around the axle over long range that we've forgotten that there are a lot more short and medium range shots to be taken than there are long range. We're overlooking the workhorse setups that are most practical for most people most of the time in favor of high performance stuff that nobody needs for most of their uses. Like .. hauling gravel in a corvette.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...