Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I had a 7 twist AR-15 that did "overstabilize" at least one shorter 50gr bullet.

Could have been a flaw in the bore but I did not see any. And I guess that lot of bullets could have been messed up somehow.

But I did experience the bullets rapidly disassembling themselves and spraying shrapnel on my targets.

With 12 and 9 twists, never had issues.

I would prefer the fastest twist I can get that is still practical for whatever I am doing, of course. I have two 9 twist 223s now and no complaints.
For a while the 9 twist seemed to dominate over the 12 twist. Now it's the 8 twist that seems to be dominating. I like the 8 twist myself but I have no heart burn with the 9. If it's a gun with a magazine like an AR, I could see where the 9 twist would shine with 62 grain bullets, maybe even some 69 grain bullets. The magazine limiting the length of the bullet and all.

If I were the king and I could make everything to fit in my world I would eliminate the 12 twist and the slowest twist would be a 10. I'm not the king and that's probably a good thing. For those guys shooting the light weight go fasters, the 12 and 14 is right up their alley. Who am I to judge ?? It's a good thing there are plenty of choices.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.