Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I had a 7 twist AR-15 that did "overstabilize" at least one shorter 50gr bullet.

Could have been a flaw in the bore but I did not see any. And I guess that lot of bullets could have been messed up somehow.

But I did experience the bullets rapidly disassembling themselves and spraying shrapnel on my targets.

With 12 and 9 twists, never had issues.

I would prefer the fastest twist I can get that is still practical for whatever I am doing, of course. I have two 9 twist 223s now and no complaints.
For a while the 9 twist seemed to dominate over the 12 twist. Now it's the 8 twist that seems to be dominating. I like the 8 twist myself but I have no heart burn with the 9. If it's a gun with a magazine like an AR, I could see where the 9 twist would shine with 62 grain bullets, maybe even some 69 grain bullets. The magazine limiting the length of the bullet and all.

If I were the king and I could make everything to fit in my world I would eliminate the 12 twist and the slowest twist would be a 10. I'm not the king and that's probably a good thing. For those guys shooting the light weight go fasters, the 12 and 14 is right up their alley. Who am I to judge ?? It's a good thing there are plenty of choices.

kwg

Good post. I'd vote for you to be king.. ha ha.. I have 1 in 7", 1 in 8", and 1 in 9" twist barrels on my 223's and they all work very well. Nothing at all wrong with being able to run heavier bullets in the .223 remington. It just extends your optimal range over a slow twist and lighter bullet. Why guys don't see that or realize it and don't want to let go of old notions is beyond me. Here's one with a 1 in 9" barrel I got from one of my buddies:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here's the first 10 shot group I fired with it, to check to make sure it was going to shoot the 69's:

Then the next 3 shots to check it at 400 yards:

If you guys don't think that can kill a ground squirrel at 600 yards, you may just have some screws loose. And no, you don't need a special chamber for that bullet or load. It is loaded to fit in an AR15 magazine. That load also works great in the bolt actions I've tried it in.. Does it shoot like that all the time? No, not hardly, but most times it will keep them under 2" at 400..:

I've also shot 50 and 53gr Vmax bullets out of it and it shoots sub moa. Not quite as well at 400 yards as the 69 smk, so the faster twist is what I prefer because it shoots the bullets I want to sling way out there much better than a slow twist barrel. The same can be said for my 1 in 8" twist 22-250. There is a reason most manufactures went to the faster twist barrels and some of these old guys need to just face up to the facts and quit trying to make excuses.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA