Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
It doesn't bother a lot of guys here to take a perfectly good Rifle and rebarrel it without even having shot it. My money came harder than that so when I rebarrel something it's because it's tired. I also see the utility of using new take off barrels and do when I can. I have in the wings a new 26" ss fluted heavy barrel chambered for 223 R threaded for a 700vs cost me $100 a local guy will put it on when needed. Another 26" ss 7mm mag chambered barrel when it's needed to replace a tired one. Usually if I want something else I don't go the rebarrel route , I'd rather sell one that is still shooting good and take the money to use on a whole new gun .I get a better return on it than spending dollar after dollar for custom triggers, stocks, and pro rebarrels. Getting back the money I have in a gun when I move it on for something else is an important part for me..
So I can see the advantages of the CTR but I'm not gonna convert my hb t3x to get them. I'll just sell it and buy 1 outright. When I need to.
Mb

Very sensible right there. I see things the sort of the same way. A rifle purchase to me is an investment. However, A lot of times I'll buy used, or barely used because the return rate is much better than buying a new rifle. But I do buy new sometimes, when I have to. Speaking of CTR's, I believe that is the last new rifle I purchased about 5 years ago. The second one I have, I bought used for much less than what a new rifle would cost. I can still sell it for more than I paid. That is what makes sense to me. I see a lot of wasted money on brand new rifles, then you have to modify this or that, and it all costs money. Especially if you don't do your own work. In the end, you have 3 times into the rifle than what it is worth. I don't go backwards like that, but to each their own.. Scotty did it right with that CTR for dang sure. I remember the morning he texted me with that picture of the target shot at 1,000 yards. Now that is how you get it done with the little 223 rem and one of the many reasons the faster twist makes more sense. I like the way you and Scotty think on this stuff. However, there are some here (very few), that are stuck in the 1960's and just can't get some of their ideas out of their heads. That's on them though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA