Originally Posted by centershot
Got the itch for a .223. Things have changed since I last owned one ~15 years ago. There is a multitude of twists now available to stabilize heavier bullets. I am curious about stabilizing 50-55gr bullets in a 1:8 twist. Is 1:8 too much? Do fragile bullets come apart? or is all good and it opens up some options for heavier 60+gr bullets to shoot longer range? Or, just stick with the old 1:12 and forget the heavier bullets. FWIW: Long shots will be 5-600 yards, typical distances ~300.

There might be a few very light, extremely fragile designs that will come apart in a 1:8 barrel, but most will be fine. And, the 1:8 gives you the ability to stabilize the higher BC bullets, should you want to maximize the .223’s long range capabilities. I would never buy a slow twist barrel in any cartridge capable of long range nowadays. Faster twist just gives you many more options.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14