Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by centershot
Got the itch for a .223. Things have changed since I last owned one ~15 years ago. There is a multitude of twists now available to stabilize heavier bullets. I am curious about stabilizing 50-55gr bullets in a 1:8 twist. Is 1:8 too much? Do fragile bullets come apart? or is all good and it opens up some options for heavier 60+gr bullets to shoot longer range? Or, just stick with the old 1:12 and forget the heavier bullets. FWIW: Long shots will be 5-600 yards, typical distances ~300.

If you notice most everyone who has tried faster twists prefer them and report the lighter bullets still work fine.

Most of the naysayers are giving opinions mostly based on speculation.

Of course this is a generalization, but I will tell you from experience and 10’s of thousands of rounds through various 223 rifles I can’t agree. I have 2 fast twist firearms, a Sako 85 varmint and a Wilson Combat AR. Neither will shoot 40 or 50 grain bullets worth a darn. For some reason that all changes with a 55 grain VMax. So I can tell you there are 2 fast twist guns that won’t shoot light bullets.

I do shoot a lot of varmints and I will stick to the lighter 40 grain bullets as they produce the desired effect on gophers and prairie dogs that support the success of that combination to 300 yards with ease. A fast twist bullet won’t beat it at that range…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]