Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
BSA we do think the same I buy more slightly used guns than new ones, I allways let someone else take it in the butt on new gun depreciation. Gotta laugh , I was looking for a 1 in 8 t3x when I found this one, but it didn't look right. There was a 5/16" gap between the barrel and bottom of the barrel channel. Not overly familiar with Tikka but knew the recoil lug was not 1 piece to the barreled action it is in the stock and the groove in the bottom of the action go down over it. I asked the owner if I could take it down to check it out. I put a lot of used guns in their gun vise and check them out cleaning them as well prior to purchase. I'll clean and lube 10 for everyone I buy so it works out for them and they give me the right to do so. A good dealer is worth more than a hundred fugging box stores. Anyway I loosen the guard screws and pulled the barreled action, a guy could see that the recoil lug had been sitting on the bottom of the action but not in the recess. Replaced it correctly and replaced the screws, cut my deal, paid for it, took it home, scoped it and bore sighted it. 10 minutes later one hole groups at 50 yds off the bench on my deck out the back door. Zero'ed with ammo loaded for my other 223 bolt guns 55 gr horns. Moved the turrets after each 3 shot group 3 groups to zero all one hole not all perfectly round but 1 ragged hole. Yep I like Tikka too. Buying them slightly used at a discount is like having your cake and eating it too. The thing is pulling off a satisfactory barrel off one of my 700's for a new one to change twist, or to stainless, weight or length would have cost more than that tikka. Never mind a caliber, magazine, or bolt face change added to that. Yeah I know I'm lucky that I don't live somewhere more highly populated where shelf life of neat stuff isn't measured in nano seconds either...mb

Great post man. I love it! That reminds me of the new looking Tikka CTR that was on the shelf a couple years ago. I should have bought the damn thing. Yes, still kicking myself in the azz over it. It was chambered in 308win. Not my favorite cartridge, by any stretch of the imagination, and I already had 2 CTR's chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. It also had the big gap between the barrel and forend tip. I knew exactly what was wrong with it. I've seen them like that, when guys don't know how to put them back together. That rifle was only $500 and barely used. The same thing happened when I bought my Tikka varmint 22-250 for the same price. I just could not let that one get away at that price!! I knew exactly what was wrong with it. It was a T3 model with the aluminum recoil lug. Replaced that with a stainless lug, glass bedded it quickly and that thing shoots incredibly well. Generally 3 shots into less than an inch at 400 yards. That also goes back to using the correct bullet for the rifle at hand. That damn thing has a 1 in 14" twist barrel. I'm limited, but I know that. I'm not going to put a 77 in it and wonder why it's not performing well. I'm not going to biotch about it too much, just use the appropriate bullet. Yes, to me it would be much more useful if it were a 1 in 8", but I have one of those as well. "It's all good", as they say in my neck of the woods..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA