Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
If, on the other hand, mag. length is the dimension around which everything else has to work, then you make other compromises. Work the problem backward from that. Or do what it takes to correct the mag. length issue so you don't have to compromise on the throat.

I've already gone further on this than I should have. Or will going forward. A smart guy once told me that after about 5 replies to any question here, things start circling the drain.....a pretty accurate observation.

-Al

Great post, particularly about the need for compromise.............& the bigger the range of bullets to be used in a specifc scenario, the more the need for some level of compromise.

Just as a general rule, in many rifles, not 224 caliber, I've often gotten best accuracy with a given bullet with twist that just consistently stabilizes a given bullet..

As for the 223 Rem , 1-8 works fine across the range of bullets that I use at the COAL's I need, well enough, but I don't shoot bullets <52 gr in those guns either.

But if dedicating a rifle to bullets of 55gr & less, a 1-12" is a better choice.

Everything is some level of compromise unless you are dedicating a given gun to a fairly narrow range of tasks.

I think the 223 Rem is maybe a round that requires a little more compromise than some other to cover a really wide range of bullets, especially given the wide range of COAL needed by various guns.

As for the OP's question about shooting 300 yds+, why bother with LW bullets (unless you have a gazillion) when the heavier bullets (60-77 gr) all do far, far better in the wind & kill little stuff just as well?

If you have a gazillion LW bullets, then barrel a rifle dedicated to, & optimized, for them.

JMHO.

MM